17 January 2009

Split Enz were wrong

At Facebook, I started a group in support of my brother-in-law, a Cold War historian. It's called *I Care* about the Origins of the Cold War. To give us more meaningful content than just cheerleading ("Go, Curt, go! Research, research, write-write-write!"), I started posting links to history.com's "This day in history."

Like Curt, & my sweetie, I love studying history. Unlike those guys, American history isn't my specialty - I dig the ancient Romans, man.

It's fun to look at what was going on in the news of the past - generally, the same things that are going on now. It just took longer to do things, and to learn about them. In 1968, you needed the newswires and access to the papers to learn about plane crashes and survivors. As opposed to the twitterverse seeing it first and sharing it with everybody.

Another '68 reference came up as I was listening to Hartlepoole vs. Northampton online yesterday. They commentators were speaking of technology and communication, reading emails from my fellow U.S. listeners during the course of their U.K. based-game. And if I understood the commentary correctly, in 1968, local Hartlepool fans had to waited hours for the post office to open - to get the phone call that their team had won promotion in the previous night's match. (And no, I'm not a Hartlepool fan m'self, was following the competition; they're in the same league as my Millwall Lions - MILLLLLLLLLWALLLLLLLLL!!)

So back to "This Day in Cold War History." Apparently, President Eisenhower was warning the nation that "this new military-industrial complex could weaken or destroy the very institutions and principles it was designed to protect." Hey, maybe Ike was psychic!